Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pottery Superlatives, round two

Here we go for the second round of pottery superlatives! This batch was full of surprises, since I used at least five new glazes and had no idea how they'd turn out. Probably my favorite new glaze is this blue one that I've already shown you:
And I'm happy to report that they made it all the way to Carina, safe and sound. I hope she's eating won ton soup out of them as we speak.

Next up, "most unexpectedly in-line with my expectations":
These beer mugs turned out to be almost exactly 16 ounces! I cannot take credit for being a genius at calculating shrinkage rates. I did do some calculations, but the perfect size was a result of blind faith more than anything else.

"Most successful experiment." I bought some cookie cutters impulsively at a kitchen store and what a good $2 investment! Here's the dinosaur: 
I will probably be selling this one eventually. And I'm also probably going to make pig mugs for all of my friends because friends don't let friends not drink coffee out of a pig mug every morning.
This one gets "most alright." There's gotta be one in every batch, and this is the uncontested winner of that prize. The glaze is nothing to get excited about and the bottom cracked a little. It's a dog bowl, so the crack isn't such a big deal, but it's still almost overwhelmingly tempting to throw it on a hard surface and watch it break into a thousand pieces so I don't have to stare my disappointment in the face any longer (good thing I'm giving it away and relieving the temptation).
This one wins the prize for "Mos elegant." The 't' is left out intentionally because the lyrics on it are from a Mos Def song (GET IT). This one went straight to my friend Kelsey because sugar and spice is the only thing she's made of.

And a bonus--here's what the bottoms look like. Pretty psyched about it.

Love,
Nicole

PS I'm going to be opening an Etsy shop in the not-so-distant future. If you have a special mug or bowl request, leave it in the comments below and I will try to make it happen. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment